Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Laura's Living Better With Less — Small Cool Contest

Name:LauraLocation:Brooklyn, NYSquare Feet:335Division:Teeny-TinyWhat I Love About My Small Home:I really love this apartment with its amazing natural light and lovely trees filling the windows. I like the open plan, and the alcove is great. Since it's only as big as my queen size bed I decided to make it a home office/dressing area/work-out space/movie watching area. It's just the right amount of space for my needs.Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small SpaceI live and work with a 'living better with less' philosophy, so to me, limited space does not mean limited living. To keep the space from feeling cramped, it was important to find the proper scale and style for pieces. For instance, the open bookshelves are only 10 1/2" deep and the armless sofa is 55" wide. Also, everything is on legs or wheels to show as much of the floor as possible to give the illusion of more floor space. To fit as many functions as possible, the smaller pieces are easily moved around to suit my needs, like pulling the lounge chair to the alcove to watch movies on my desktop computer.If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:I did want to make some improvements to this space, including making a convertible coffee/dining table, and getting a set of small chairs for more seating for friends. But I just found out my building is being sold and I'll be getting the boot, so if I win I will be putting the money towards designing my next tiny apartment.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment