Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Bits Bucket for June 22, 2012

“Green Shoots, Volume XXVII”

A little background….

One of the main reasons I left my former employer was that, even averaging 600-800 hours of “overtime” a year (I was Salaried Exempt, so I didn’t get paid for O/T), it was impossible to do an adequate job, because we had to wear three hats:

-Supervisor of 20-30 direct reports, working 5-10 projects scattered between 2-3 hangars
-Customer Service Rep
-Billing Analyst

3-5 years of this, you were either toasted figuratively, or literally (heart attack, aneurism, suicide, fatal accident caused by fatigue). I managed to last nine, mainly by telling myself they couldn’t fire me no matter how bad if/when effed up, because nobody with any brains would take my job. Took them a year to find my replacement……who only lasted six months because of:

a) Sexual Harrassment of the office staff (who also happened to be the wife of one of the guys on another crew…..fistfights between the bargaining unit and management are “disruptive”)

b) General Dumbassery

c) Both of the above, depending on who you talked to.

(I thought the stories on Jerry Springer/Maury were total BS……before I became a Supervisor/Crew Chief. I then found out that Springer didn’t even scratch the surface….but I digress)

After I (and others) left/died, the company decided to split the job between two people….one to run the crew, one to be the CSR, and review the bills/invoices.

Fast forward to 2012.

The employee friendly managers are leaving, being shown the door by the Mother(effer) Ship. All of the 20 year plus guys who didn’t take buyouts are now considered “part of the problem/old paradigm/uncooperative” and are being terminated/demoted.

And, of course, because of “customer complaints about communications”, the CSR/Analyst guys are being given the boot, and the Crew Supervisors get to wear three hats again.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment