Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Steve Jobs: User Experience, Not Appliances

I was talking about the new iPhone 4S announced today with my wife and sons over dinner. I went to show my son the video on the new Siri app for the iPhone and saw Steve Job’s black and white image on the Apple site announcing his death – I clicked a few times not initially registering what it meant. Then a flurry of news alerts came on my iPhone and confirmed that he had passed.

We watched the CNN coverage and admittedly I got a little choked up. Cancer really sucks and touched my family’s life when my wife went through the whole process a little over 5 years ago.

I’ve long kept his famous Stanford commencement speech as well as the 1984 Macintosh Superbowl ad on my laptop, then iPhones.

Back in 1982-83, recently out of college and I walked into a computer store in suburban Chicago and bought an IBM PC Jr. I played around with it, but when visiting my boss’ house for a party, I saw his green screen adorned Apple PC.

In 1986 I walked into a Computerland Store on Third Avenue in Midtown Manhattan, intent on buying a computer to start our appraisal business. I was going to buy an IBM PC. However I saw the new Macintosh Plus and was hooked. Visits to MacWorld trade shows in Boston, New York and San Fran with my pregnant wife or Dad were bigger than any holiday.

We built our businesses with Apple products.

I always figured that if you spend a large part of your working life working with a computer, why work with an appliance? PC = toaster. Mac = an experience.

Thanks Steve.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment